Featured Star of the Week is creating artwork inspired by our mother Earth that depicts the beauty of life.
“What could be better for an artist than to be seen by as many people as possible and touch their minds and souls with art…” – Yulia Altas.
I was born in Tula City, Russian Federation and now live in the United States.
I studied Arts at Tula Art School and then Orel Art College, where I was awarded the Honors Diploma in Art & Design upon graduation. Later I received a Master’s degree in Visual Arts from Tula City University.
I have 29+ years of experience studying the latest art designs and trends.
I participated in multiple art exhibitions worldwide: Italy, the UK, France, Germany, Brazil, Spain, Mongolia, South Korea, Swede, Japan, and the USA. In addition, my works were seen at the Eiffel Tower, Gustave Eiffel Hall, and the Carrousel du Louvre in Paris.
I am a winner of the Artavita 21st Online Art Contest with three works “Fall in Love”, “All Dreams Come True” and “Spring is Coming”. Most sales of those paintings were made by prints on postcards, posters, and ceramics. I WAS EXHIBITED IN THE ARTAVITA PAVILION AT ARTEXPO NEW YORK.
I was one of a few international artists who were chosen to exhibit their names and works on the 25-story-tall billboard above the American Eagle in the heart of Times Square, New York City. The exhibition, entitled “See Me Take Over Times Square,” was endorsed by See|Me Group, Inc.
My work focuses on realism and expressionism. It features a range of techniques using oil, acrylic, watercolors, ink, and tempera paints.
My favorite technique is multi-layering, where I use water and oil without brush strokes on paper or canvas.
A few years ago, I created the “Altas Art” online Academy of contemporary art in New York, where students from all over the world can learn to be creative and discover their talents.
WAS THERE A PIVOTAL MOMENT WHEN YOU DECIDED TO FOLLOW YOUR PATH AS AN ARTIST?
Nope. It was always my nature. Since I learned to hold a pencil, I have been drawing everything I see.
The most interesting thing about it is I draw what I hear.
CAN YOU DESCRIBE YOUR WORK FOR US?
I am a very emotional and expressive person. I love to experiment with different types of things.
If something makes me happy, I share those emotions through my paintings. This usually is done by using expressionism techniques. However, I love to take my time and paint slower when experiencing negative feelings or thoughts. This is when art becomes my therapy.
Every piece of art I make is part of my energy and my soul.
WHAT DOES YOUR WORK AIM TO SAY?
Life is beautiful of any kind. There is a lot of philosophy in mother nature.
I love to draw and paint landscapes.
When something touches my heart, I have this urge to recreate it on canvas or paper. Sometimes it is just a moment. Right there, right now. Like that.
HOW DO YOU THINK YOUR WORK FITS WITHIN SOCIETY IN OUR PRESENT TIMES?
I think this time, for all artists, it is a freedom to share with the world our emotions in different ways. No rules, no borders, no censure.
WHEN LOOKING BACK, WHAT ARTWORKS COME TO MIND THAT MOST RELATE TO YOUR LIFE STORY?
“Woman in red”
“Memory of September 11”
And a series of paintings, “Butterflies are dancing”
Those paintings represent three periods of my life where I changed my vision.
WHO ARE YOUR BIGGEST INFLUENCES?
CAN YOU TELL US ABOUT YOUR CREATIVE PROCESS?
It could be a long story.
I love watercolors, which let me create fast without any sketches.
I love acrylic – fluid art—very emotional and real therapy.
I love oil and water… yep.. it is a fantastic process to find exactly what you are feeling at that moment …
I do not make any preparation and sketches— everything comes out naturally.
“Morning in the Mountains,” Mixed Media by Yulia Altas – Star of the Week
WHAT VISUAL REFERENCES DO YOU DRAW UPON IN YOUR WORK?
Most of the time, it’s nothing at all.
Sometimes I can learn about specific flowers or objects.
My Major Exhibitions:
- Caelum Gallery “International Art Group Show”, New York
- Spanish Society Benevolent Gallery, Chelsea, New York “International Art Group Show”
- “International Biennale Artists Exhibition” Miami, U.S.
- Elena AB Gallery Tribeca, New York: “International Art Group Show, “Everything about September 11″,” Freedom and Hope” A 9/11 Tribute.
- Chelsea Eye Gallery art show: “Thinking Utopic”, New York
- Exhibition NY Chelsea Montserrat Gallery in Chelsea, New York
- Carrousel du Louvre, Salon Art Shopping. PARIS, France.
- La Grande Exposition Universal Eiffel Tower, “Gustavo Eiffel Hall”, Paris, France.
- Concept Air Fair “Cosmic Connections” Art Basil Week MIAMI.
- SACI INTERNATIONAL ART EXHIBITION and AWARD 2015.
- International Art Biennale Palermo – Florence, Italy.
- Oxford International Art Fair.
- BIENAL de Arte BARSELONA.
- ROMART 2015 INTERNATIONAL BIENNAL OF ART AND CULTURE.
- ART TRADE FAIR “L’Isola che C’è” Isola Festival.
- United Nations – EXPO 2015 and “Art for a better future”.
- Progetto “Wunderkammer” Art Exhibition, Italy.
- “International Fine Art Exhibition” Gallery NIW, Tokyo, Japan.
- Art & Photo Exhibition “Three Horizons”, Gateway Art Center NYC.
- EARTH Contemporary Salon at the United Nations of New York City
- Saphira & Ventura Gallery art group exhibition.
- IN3 – Exhibition in New York City. JMC Gallery, New York.
- Show Communication “RIO ART” Art Olympics, Spoleto Arte, Brazile, 2016.
- ASSOCIAZIONE CULTURALE ACCADEMIA “ITALIA IN ARTE NEL MONDO” 2017.
- MIAMI RIVER Art Fair 2017.
- Conception Art Show, New York, September – November 2017.
My Major Awards:
- The RAFFAELLO SANZIO 2014 AWARD & the Nelson Mandela SPECIAL AWARD FOR HUMAN RIGHTS.
- Given the title “MASTER” and The “RAFFEELLO SANZIO 2014 AWARD”.
- The Prize in for the Artists that are worthy of their artistic merit. Awarding the “Sandro Botticelli Prize” 2014.
- The Prize International Rome Imperial is for Artists that are worthy of their artistic merit.
- ITALIA IN ARTE “PIETER PAUL RUBENS AWARD 2015” – BAROQUE CONTEMPORARY ART.
- International Prize Marco Polo Art Ambassador.
- Critics Award / Premio della Critica
- 1° International Noto Award – Unesco Heritage.
- Rome “Awarding of the International Prize Michelangelo – Artists at the Jubilee”
- Oscar dell’Arte 2015, ArtExpò Gallery in Principality of Monaco. Biennial Prize for Visual Arts “Academy of Art 2015
- “Awarding of the International Prize Leonardo Da Vinci – The Universal Artist”, Florence 2016.
- Berlin Art Prize 2016. “Recognition of endeavor in the Fine Art”
- “Haunting Memories” 2016. Third Place painting. LeyDan Art Gallery. Fine Arts Gallery and Academy. Windsor – Canada.
- BEATO ANGELICO Award 2016
- “ACADEMY AWARDS – OSCAR NOMINATION” – Best artist of the year 2016.
- METROPOLITAN EMPIRE PRIZE, New York, October 2017, Costanza Foundation Italy.
- International Prize “ANDREA MANTEGNA” for the stylistic value, November 2017.
Each painting is unique. You can buy it for yourself or as a gift. As an original source or as an author’s print (with the artist’s original signature and the author of a unique refinement). The quantity of work is limited to between 25 and 50 copies of the same work.